Thursday, December 25, 2008

Bogra Culture

Sniffin' up some Bangla culture
July 1, 2007

Traffic jam in Bogra
Bangladesh has three Unesco World Heritage sites and one of them is Mahastangarh and the other one in Parharpur so it was time for me to sniff up some Bangla culture. Getting to Mahasthangarh was really easy just take one rickshaw driver and pay ten times the local price and 30 minutes later I was in Mahastangarh. Getting the price down to a more agreeable twice the local rate was next to impossible and after asking five different rickshaw drivers who were all in cahuts with each other. In the end I surrended and paid the extorsionist ten times local price of just USD 1. Yup when you travel this long as I do, you get cheap for all the wrong reasons and lose perspective of all the prices.
I really don't know who's on the committee or how much Bangladesh paid to get something on the prestigiuous Unesco World Heritage Site List because to me Mastangarh looked more like a rubble of stones than an ancient city. Again I had to pay a King's ransom of Taka 250 (about USD 2.50), ten times the local price, I think you'll see a trend here.
Parharpur was nothing better than Mastangarh, I think the people on the visiting committee must have been "stoned" to list these things anyway both of them were less than spectacular. The best thing about Parharpur was actually getting there and away because I took the wrong bus I had to take a rickshaw ride of about an hour half through the country side for Taka 500 (USD 5) for the round trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment